Problem on Leica SL (Type 601)

PhilipHo

Problem on Leica SL (Type 601)

Post by PhilipHo »

Received this wonder Polaris yesterday. Install Apps on mobile phone and insert micro SD card (32GB) into the Polaris. Format micro SD card and upgrade latest firmware of Polaris successfully. However, it cannot get any live view on the mobile phone and also cannot change S and F setting in the Apps (tried both Andriod and iOS Polaris Apps on 2 mobile phones, shown as None in Android or Auto in iOS). EV and ISO can be set correctly (and displayed correctly on the SL touch screen display). WB is somewhat mismatched, it can be changed in the Apps but does not align with what shown on the SL touch screen display. When trying to shoot a photo for testing, “Shoot Failed” with warning shown “Be sure to select JPEG or JPEG+RAW image quality in the camera settings before use” in both Andriod and iOS Apps, although the SL has already been set as DNG+JPG.

As Leica SL use USB3.0 micro B connector which Polaris kit does not come with one, a Unitek USB-C to Micro-B cable (purchased separately from local store) is used to connect Polaris with the camera. Would like to know if anyone successfully make the Polaris works with Leica SL? The camera firmware is version 3.8 on the Leica SL (Type 601).
BJN2

Re: Problem on Leica SL (Type 601)

Post by BJN2 »

I can't weigh in on specifics, but you should look at USB-related settings in your camera's menu. For my Nikon and Panasonic bodies, USB communication must be set to specific values before Polaris can control the camera. Sorry I can't offer specifics. Don't forget to ask your question at the Facebook group where you might reach more Leica SL users.

Also noted that you can use the micro connector on the wider part of a micro-B port. I do that with my Lumix G9.
PhilipHo

Re: Problem on Leica SL (Type 601)

Post by PhilipHo »

Thank you for the reminder, and as a matter of setup the camera connection was set to PTP. After sending the issue to Polaris, the official reply was to wait for their software optimization (my interpretation is that it has to wait for software fixing, if they will fix the problems in future) before some of the features can be used on the camera model, including setting S, A, focus stack and HDR. These functions had been tested but failed to work from the Apps.