No Focus with Nikon Z7 (solved)

JavaMD

No Focus with Nikon Z7 (solved)

Post by JavaMD »

When I hook everything up on astro polaris .. firmware updated ... and plug it in my app registers the card and camera fine.
I can not get it to focus either by using the app or manually turning the focus ring. The camera says it is connected to a pc.

I have my camera setting on Manual focus ... I have tried M - A - S setting on the mode choices. I have tried two different lenses (70-200 2.8 nikkor z lens and the 24-70 2.8 nikkor z lens) and have tried to focus in all three modes with the lens setting on A and M (for automatic and manual) and have tried on the 70-200 changing the focus mode (full and infinity-5m)

Can't figure out what I"m doing wrong or if it is a Nikon Z / Z lens issue.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Steve Egge
Langley, Washington USA
Sockeye
Site Admin

Re: No Focus with Nikon Z7

Post by Sockeye »

Maybe there is something going wrong with the "USB-connection type". The Sony users need to specify it in-cam to "connected to PC" to make it work properly. Could this be also the case for Nikon?
JavaMD

Post by JavaMD »

THANK YOU! I connected it after going in to the settings and creating a profile to connect direct to PC! first time focus has worked.

Setup for Nikon Z-7 to work with Polaris (camera should be in Manual Focus mode)
(apparently I am limited to only 3 screenshots in this post)

Setup camera to work with Polaris: - Camera can be setup on Polaris unit but unplug the USB-c cable from the Nikon so you can work the menu.
Go to "Setup Menu" on the Menu screen and scroll till you find the "Connect to PC" option - select it
image0.jpeg
Then select "Network Settings" (no image)
Then "create profile" (no image)
Then on the Connection wizard choose "Direct connection to PC"
image3.jpeg
This will bring up the last screen of the Connection Wizard - Connect the PC to the following access point.
image4.jpeg
You will Not have to enter the SSID or Key so don't worry

Now plug in the USB-c cable from Polaris - your phone/iPad should show a connection to the Z7 and also that your memory card is plugged into the Polaris unit. The Menu screen will go blank once connected to Polaris.

Then it should work as advertised!

Steve Egge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JavaMD on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sockeye
Site Admin

Post by Sockeye »

Perfect. I'll move it from bugs to Nikon specific topics .
Could you add a screenshot or explanation what you exactly changed for other Nikon users who may have the same issue?
JavaMD

Re: No Focus with Nikon Z7 (solved)

Post by JavaMD »

Sockeye -

I enhanced my response above. Was limited to only 3 image uploads but still works. Was going to pm you this but couldn't.
Thanks again for the suggestion.

steve
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

I just received my polaris and I followed your direction to connect to PC on my Nikon Z7ii.There is no preview on my camera monitor. It is completely black. Were you able to get a preview on your camera and if so what did you do. Thanks for posting the solution
rah003

Post by rah003 »

Doesn’t work on my Z7ii either. App still claims camera is not connected. Tried with multiple different usb-c cables to rule that out as a problem. Can anyone provide any other suggestions? Any Z7 specific settings? Any other tips? Without the connection it’s just expensive paperweight:(